Saturday, February 5, 2011

Getting a "head" of the game

Ha ha, bad pun.  But still...
Despite being frozen like the day after tomorrow, work did continue on the Gremlin.  All manner of connections, bolts, and baubles were removed and the manifolds and valve cover are discarded to the scrap pile.  What I found underneath was disconcerting to say the least.  This supposed well kept daily driver was coated in enough gritty, nasty grime to choke a goat.  Look for yourself:

Blargh

Looks like it went to the beach and got buried in the sand by unruly children.  I think Ejeflyichicajookawhatever volcano blew up into the oil fill cap.  Reminds me of a Louisiana beach in late 2010.  I was contemplating just replacing the petrified valve cover gasket and leaving the old head on the engine for fear that the other head would over-stress the piston rings, but now I can't imagine leaving this chunky salsa covered thing on.  Imagine all that sandy crud breaking loose and circulating around inside the engine, blocking passageways and causing mayhem.  Gahhh  *shudder*  We've had enough mayhem for quite some time, thank you very much.
I didn't get much past that, as I was distracted by a good friend I hadn't seen in a while.  And a movie concerning CGI owls.  I have ADD.  Ooohh....pretty colors!
The head bolts have been loosed and the head is ready for removal, but I'm leaving that for tomorrow for fear that I might ruin the rest of my evening depending on what I find underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment